Displaying items by tag: Büyükada

Monday, 25 February 2013 16:54

Büyükada - Hamidiye Mosque

The most notable mosque on Büyükada is Hamidiye Camii, which is four hundred meters south of the iskele on Ada Camii Sokağı. The mosque was built in 1892-3, and is named for Sultan Abdül Hamit II (r. 1876-1909). The main entrance, approached by a double stairway, is on the second floor of a three-storeyed structure that gives access to the prayer room, which is square in plan and covered by a dome.

Published in Suggested Itineraries
Monday, 25 February 2013 16:52

Büyükada - The Hesed Le Avram Synagogue

The Hesed Le Avram Synagogue is in Yalı Mahallesi, about six hundred meters east of the iskele on Pancur Sokağı, one short block south of Zagnos Paşa Caddesi. The synagogue, founded in 1903, is distinguished by the tripartite ogive Moorish arches in its façade and the copper-covered dome over its prayer room.

Published in Suggested Itineraries

The Roman Catholic church of San Pacifico is in Meşrutiyet Mahallesi about 350 meters south of the iskele, at the intersection of Lala Hatun Sokağı and Yeni Sokak. This is a large basilica in the neo-Gothic style, with a wooden roof, built by the Franciscans in the years 1865-6. Above the altar there is a large painting by the Italian artist Giovanni Battista depicting San Pacifico, flanked by Sts. Ignatius and Sophia, as they fly over the Princes’ Isles.

Published in Suggested Itineraries

The other church is at the corner of Zagnos Paşa Caddesi and Alaçam Sokağı. This is the Metropolitan Church of St. Dimitrios (Hagios Dimitrios), the patron saint of Prinkipo. Since 1923 St. Dimitrios has been the seat of the Metropolitan Bishop of the Prinkiponisa, whose aegis extends over all the Greek Orthodox churches of the Princes’ Isles, which were previously part of the Metropolis of Chalcedon (Kadıköy).

The church was designed by the Greek architect Fistikos Kalfa and built in 1856-60. When the foundations were being laid workers unearthed an ancient column capital, now displayed in the courtyard, with a relief monogram of the emperor Justin II (r. 565-78). The church is a large three-aisled basilica in stone with three entryways, flanked by vaulted arcades. The nave is separated from the side aisles by twin colonnades of four columns each, capped by wooden Ionic capitals and linked by arches. The main altar is dedicated to St. Dimitrios and the two side chapels to St. Pandeleimon (Hagios Pandeleimon) and the Prophet Elijah (Hagios Profitis Ilias). The central vault of the main aisle has a medallion portrait of Christ Pantocrator, the All Powerful. The gilded pulpit, which is built against the second column on the left, is decorated with portraits of the four Evangelists. The baroque patriarchal throne stands against the third column on the right. The elaborately carved iconostasis is made of marbled plaster. The icon of St. Dimitrios in the nave, dating from the seventeenth century, is clad in beautiful silverwork. The icons in the two side chapels are also exceptionally fine works.

Published in Suggested Itineraries
Page 6 of 7
You are here: Home Büyükada